Fairmont Mara Safari Club
Maasai Mara, Kenya - Classic 4
The well-appointed Fairmont Mara Safari Club is set by the Mara River at the foot of the Aitong Hills in the Ol-Choro Oiroua Conservation Area that borders the Masai Mara Game Reserve. The Club is a five-hour drive from Nairobi, or a forty-five minute flight from Wilson Airport (Nairobi) and a ten-minute drive from Ngerende Airstrip.
All tents have their own private river frontage with a viewing deck from where hippo and crocodile are regularly seen. Occasionally elephant wander past to drink the water and during the migration period large herds of wildebeest can sometimes be observed attempting to cross the river nearby. The rooms have twin and double four-poster beds, electricity and modern en-suite facilities with hot and cold running water.The main building, with lounge, bar and dining room is cantilevered over the river, providing a superb vantage point to view the resident hippos and the amazing riverine birdlife. The superb pool set on the banks of the river, al fresco lunches and evening Masai dances, cultural and wildlife talks and wildlife shows all add greatly to the Club experience. The restaurant serves a high standard of international cuisine combined with traditional Kenyan dishes. Game drives here are conducted by experienced "driver-naturalists", in 4x4 Landcruisers and despite being close to the farmlands, the game viewing around the Fairmont Mara Safari Club is excellent.
- Bird Walks - A naturalists guides walkers on the Mara plains (2 km from the camp) pointing out various species of birds (250 have been sighted so far). Walks last for approximately one and a half-hours
- Walking Safaris (half day excursion): Guided by a knowledgeable naturalist, an armed guide and two Masai warriors in full regalia A full safari breakfast/ brunch is served on the river bank perhaps with the hippo eyeing jealously! Guests have to fill out liability forms. Children under 12 are not permitted to join this excursion but could ride in the escort car and join in the bush meal
- Balloon Safaris - Depart at 05.45 a.m. for a balloon ride over the Mara plains. This safari lasts for approximately 2 hours. Guests have to fill out liability forms
- Visit a Masai Village (full day excursion) - Upon arrival, guests are welcomed and guided by a Masai warrior who explains the various aspects of the maasai culture and social life. This visit is a photographers delight and is available from 08.30 a.m. to 05.00 p.m. Exclusive evening and lunch time performances can be arranged at a supplementary cost
- Sundowner cocktails
- Fishing at Lake Victoria (half day excursion) - A 40 minute flight brings one to the second largest fresh water lake in the world. Fish for Nile Perch, some of which weigh over 200 lbs.